Wednesday 14 September 2016

Karisma (Bra) - Sweet Revenge (1983)


Karisma (Bra) - Sweet Revenge (1983)

Besides some bands I may have never even heard from Brazil before (not so likely I am sure), this was one of the last ones I ever discovered.  I don't know when or where, but it ended up taking me quite a few years to actually find a copy of this.  First time I laid my eyes on that cover all I could think of was what the fuck is that thing, and what is it doing?  Whatever it was, I knew I had to hear this because it looked incredibly bad and gave me a very lo-fi vibe, the same kind of feeling I had when I first saw the Exterminator LP.  When I finally got a chance to hear it I was surprised.  Yes, it was bad, but it was not as bad as I expected and was definitely no Exterminator.

Being released in 1983 meant it was really early on in Brazil for metal with only Hard Rock from the 70's like Som Imaginário and Rock Da Mortalha and Stress releasing their first album a year before in 1982 being the only fully metallic sounding band of the time.  Infact, it was so early that the band sounds just like it could have come out of the NWOBHM.  Easily fitting that time frame, it's easy to think this is perhaps just another band from the UK, after all, it sounds just like Holocaust, especially the vocals.  The production is rough as all get fucked, but that is to be expected from so early on in a country like Brazil.  The first Stress album a year earlier is a bit more polished than this is to give you an idea.

What I really love about this album though, is that all lyrics are sung in English.  "English".  As I may have written times before, I love broken English.  I am not sure what it is about it, but it has a very strange feel to it and this album does not disappoint.  Apparently the vocalist/guitarist/main songwriter Helmut Leschonsky was living in the USA for a short period at the end of the 70's and beginning of the 80's before returning to Brazil to form Karisma. This no doubt may have had an influence to sing in English as many other bands at the time were still using Portuguese in Brazil.

Tracklisting:
  1. We Are Here To Fuck Your Ears
  2. We've Got Rock
  3. Far Away From Home
  4. In My Bed
  5. Orient Fucker
  6. Honey, You Got Money
  7. Too Much Drugs
  8. Stairway To Heavy
Country: Brazil
Bit Rate: 320kbps
Password: brownsock

1 comment: